Saturday, August 3, 2013

First Week in the MTC

Thursday, August 1, 2031 (snail mail letter)

Dear Familya,

I can’t even begin to describe how I feel right now. There is so much going through my mind and heart. The Spirit is so strong here in the MTC. There are elders and sisters everywhere you look. It is so amazing to see so many of the Lord’s servants together.

To start, I have to say that I am so busy. All day is planned out for me. I sometimes feel like I have no control, but when I feel like that I just say a short prayer and peace takes control of my feelings. Anyway, you’re probably wondering what I’ve been up to. I was assigned a companion. His name is Elder Arrington. He is from North Ogden and loves the work. I haven’t gotten to know him too well, but I think that’s just because it’s been so crazy the past two days.

There’s kind of an interesting situation regarding my district. We have six sisters and only two elders (my companion and me). Crazy huh? Anyway, we met with our branch presidency tonight, and I was assigned as District Leader. There is a lot to take in in a short amount of time. But that’s the way life is sometimes.

Ako Pagmamahal Kiyo
Elder Christensen



Saturday, August 3, 2013 (Email)

Dear Laht, (all)

It has been crazy here at the MTC the past few days. You don't realize how much time you have in a day until you really start to use it. I mean the past few days I haven't had more than 15 min of time to think for myself. It’s incredible how much time there is in a day. I mean I think I have accomplished more in the past few days than I have in the past 3 months... ok, so maybe not in the whole three months but you get the point. To be honest the past few days have been a blur for me.

I mean to say that as soon as I was dropped off I was rushed from place to place getting my stuff to my room and making everything else fit in the proper place. I ended up in my class room where our teacher would only talk to us in Tagalog. It was strange trying to figure out what he was saying because I really didn't understand a word of what he was saying. Things are getting better in regards to the language though because I have been praying for the gift of tongues. I know that the Lord supports us in our lives and he is always there for us when we need help. Let me tell you, I need all the help I can get with Tagalog. :)

Mom, thank you for your letter. It was pretty cool to have 4 letters from home the first time I went to check the mail. Oh, and did I forget to mention that I'm the district leader for my district. It's a hard job but I feel that as I pray I will have the ability to live up to the challenge. My companion is really cool. He is very athletic. He played baseball in high school. He did just graduate from high school so he is a little younger than me. Oh, his name is Elder Arrington. (Tyler... I think) He is pretty quiet, but I hope that as we get to know each other better we can become friends and learn to mahal (love) one another. Also, Mom I found a lot of the notes you left me, and all the sisters in my district thought that was way nice. One even said "ako po mahal sa Sister Christensen" (I love sister Christensen). That made me smile a little bit.

Last night we got to teach our first lesson in Tagalog. It wasn't very good because my companion and I can't speak Tagalog very well yet, but we managed to stumble our way through a very short lesson. Later on last night one of the members of our branch presidency came by our room and made a transfer. We now have two more elders in our district. Elder Ball and Elder... I don't remember his name but I will be sure to get that to you next e-mail.

I love you all. I am grateful for all of your love and support.


Elder Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment